作者 主题: 【SG】暗影仪式章首故事,P120~121  (阅读 5528 次)

副标题: 这个故事告诉我们:猫真的是流体

线上 失语

• Hero
  • 帖子数: 971
  • 苹果币: 2
【SG】暗影仪式章首故事,P120~121
« 于: 2019-07-16, 周二 14:14:27 »

备受尊敬的首席骑士拉斯穆森(Rasmusen)坐在那里陷入沉思,他背对书桌,茫然地望着窗外的夜色。昏暗的光晕从巴特市低级区(Butte Below)的地下郊区街道与房屋向上延伸,被缭乱柔和的光影所干扰,此情此景极为容易地想象出一些虚假的征兆。但终究只是想象。他把思绪拉回到手头的工作上,把椅子转到书桌前,面前摆着一堆档案——每一份都代表着蒙大拿技术学院赫尔墨斯教团地卜师的候选人。

“斯科特·彼得斯(Scott Peters,),”他拉起一张AR图片,在他的办公桌上方盘旋,“GPA 3.1。很低,但他的导师们一致认为他潜力巨大。”

“有人在关注他。”一个咕哝声回道。一团浓雾在他办公室一角升腾,很快便化为一只家养猫科动一般的形态。这只猫穿过房间,跳到拉斯穆森的书桌上,漫不经心地在斯科特·彼得斯的全息图像中漫步,游荡到他高背椅子旁边的凳子上。

“谁?TMT?”他猜测道,选择了与彼得斯的实力最有可能相配的选项,“那些兄弟会的男孩还没有从在星界迷雾(Astral Hazing,译注:过去版本对背景计数的说法)带来侵蚀中恢复过来就开始吸收新人。”

“不,拉斯穆森阁下。”猫咪露出非猫的笑容,“还有其他势力想要引起这个男孩的注意。”

“……五芒星吗?还是魔法机构(MageWerks)?该死的,布利克斯(Blix),别坐在那儿练习你那阴森的神秘微笑了。只有少数几个符合我们要求的二年级学生,彼得斯是最好的。”他不耐地皱着眉头,“如果我失去了公司的潜在成员,那么最好能得到一些补偿。”

布利克斯的微笑在拉斯穆森的威胁下变成了咧嘴笑,坦然露出了一排猫咪才有的,闪闪发光犹如银河般的牙齿。

“如果我说得再具体一点,我就不再是我了。”他理直气壮道,“但我要告诉你,不管你怎么努力,任何招募斯科特·彼得斯的企图都是徒劳的。”

拉斯穆森沮丧地吼了一声,挥了挥手,档案和候选人的全息图像消失了。当他挣扎着站起来时,布利克斯带着月亮引力般优雅地流到了地板上,跟着这个人走出办公室,穿过大厅。他的微笑中,银河依然璀璨耀眼,但在他那猫一样长的身体里,蓝色的阴影相互追逐着,这中间萦绕着一种紧张的气氛。

拉斯穆森推开沉重的木门,从他的办公室穿过宽阔的大厅来到房间里,刚好能让他和布利克斯溜进去。烛光似乎给抛光的深色木地板,和靠着一面墙的有着复杂精细雕花的写字台,带来了微妙的亮光。用“似乎”这个词是因为里面没有蜡烛;一种间接的、无源的光布满了每个角落,散发着就像炉火般温暖的光亮。在房间的中央是一个魔法圆环,在地板上燃烧着,里面充满了的银色液体,似乎因为能量而颤抖着。

布利克斯挨着墙壁,慢悠悠地走到一张藏在离写字台最远角落里的高脚凳前,他伸了个懒腰,然后轻松地跳到座位上。他那耐心玩乐的姿势,被他毛皮上飘浮的斑驳的暗色带和斑点给破坏了。

拉斯穆森从写字台的众多抽屉中取出一副塔罗牌,站在那里洗牌,没有明显的意图。

“我很好奇。是哪位我不认识的——或者认识的——在挖走我的学生?”

布利克斯没有回答。

拉斯穆森跨过魔法圆环闪闪发光的边界,舒服地坐在地板上,花了一点时间让自己集中注意力。他专注于每一个动作,把塔罗牌洗个干净,然后小心翼翼将把牌放在地板上。

拉斯穆森一看到第一张卡片,嘴角就抽搐起来,代表提问者的卡;他一直认为“圣杯国王”是他的名片。他摇了摇头不使自己分心,把注意力集中到仪式上,同时放上了对方的牌。死神。这意味着改变——灾难性的、意想不到的、彻底的或者仅仅是不舒服的——不一定是生命的终结。他把牌横放在“圣杯国王”上,然后从牌堆顶部抽出基础牌。

拉斯穆森冷哼一声。他把手里的牌翻过来,把它的背面和地板上的牌堆做比较,然后把对方的牌拿起来,和他手里的牌做比较。

“是张什么牌?”布利克斯问道。

“第二张死神。”拉斯穆森回答。“和原来的一模一样。”

“从另一个牌堆?”

“这个牌堆。这些卡牌是独一无二的。”

“那就把它放好。”

拉斯穆森看着布利克斯,一点也不惊讶猫脸上什么也没露出。他换掉了对方的牌,然后停了下来——重新找回解读的宁静集中力需要付出努力。最后,他把基础卡放在下面,其他卡片的左边。

卡片突然燃烧起来。一道耀眼的银白色光芒从魔法圆环中升起,将他包围在一列冰冷的火焰中。

它结束得和开始得一样快。拉斯穆森坐在曾经是银色魔法圆环,现在是灰色污泥圆环的中心,塔罗牌放的地方留下了黑色的灰迹,他直直地盯着前方。

布利克斯从他的凳子上流下来,跨过现在已经不成样的圆环,站在那人面前。

“现在,我的主人,你知道的和我一样多了。”

拉斯穆森循着声音把脸转向那只猫。

“不要害怕,失明是暂时的,”布利克斯向他保证,“抓住我的尾巴,我带你离开这个房间。”

拉斯穆森精疲力竭地走到门口;他瘫倒在走廊的墙上,气喘吁吁,好像刚跑完一场马拉松。

“我什么也没看见,”他终于开口道,“或者别的什么。我看到了什么?”

“我的主人,你看到了某人——两个不愿被人知晓的人。”布利克斯说,“你看到了两种力量的冲突,每一种力量都足以摧毁仪式的基础。你看到了他们给你的警告,让你不要再深究下去。两个死神;他们都在告诉你,坚持的代价就是死亡。”

尊贵的首席骑士拉斯穆森靠在墙上,等待着自己的呼吸和心跳放慢下来。漆黑的形体在他失明的黑暗之中腾挪。他不明白自己怎么能看到黑对黑的影像,也不明白那是什么意思,但有一个影像,无疑是一匹狼的轮廓。

劇透 -   :
The Esteemed Leading Knight Rasmusen sat lost in thought, his back to his desk as he gazed unseeingly into the evening beyond his office window. It was easy to imagine false portents in the subdued play of lights and shadows that troubled the diffuse glow of dimly lit streets and houses emanating upward from the subterranean suburbs of Butte Below. But it was only imagination. Bringing his mind back to the task at hand, he swiveled his chair to face his desk and the array of dossiers—each representing a candidate for Montana Tech’s Hermetic Order of Geomancers.
“Scott Peters,” he said, pulling up an AR image to hover above his desk. “GPA 3.1. Low, but his instructors are unanimous in their high opinion of his potential.”
“Taken,” a grumbly voice responded. A dense fog formed in the far corner of his office and quickly coalesced into the deceptively average form of a domestic feline. The Cat crossed the room and leaped to the top of Rasmusen’s desk, casually strolling through Scott Peter’s holographic image on its way to a stool beside his high-backed chair.
“Who? The Tau Mu Tau?” he guessed, going with the most likely match to Peters’ strengths. “Those frat boys haven’t recovered enough from giving Astral Hazing a whole new meaning to begin recruiting.”
“No, Lord Rasmusen,” the Cat smiled an uncatlike smile. “There are other forces working to gain this boy’s attention.”
“Who? Pentacles? MageWerks? Damn it, Blix, don’t just sit there practicing that infernal cryptic smile of yours. Peters is the best in only a handful of sophomores that would fit in our order.” He frowned ominously. “If I am to lose a potential member to a corporation there’d best be some compensation.”
Blix’s smile became a grin at Rasmusen’s threat, revealing rows of glowing galaxies where an honest cat had teeth.
“I would not be me if I were any more specific,” he said in reasonable tones. “But I will tell you that try as you might, any attempt to recruit Scott Peters will be futile.”
With a growl of frustration, Rasmusen waved his hand and the holographic images of dossiers and candidates disappeared. When he pushed himself to his feet, Blix flowed with moon-gravity grace to the floor and followed the human out of the office and across the hall. Galaxies still glittered from his smile, but there was a tension in the way shifting shades of blue pursued each other down his feline length.
Rasmusen pushed the heavy wooden doors to the room across the broad hall from his office just wide enough to allow himself and Blix to slip inside. Candlelight seemed to give the polished darkwood floor and the intricately carved bureau against one wall subtle highlights. ‘Seemed’ because there were no candles; an indirect, sourceless light filled every corner with a warm glow not unlike a cozy fire. In the center of the room was a mage circle, burned into the floor and filled with a silvery liquid that seemed to tremble with energy.
Hugging the wall, Blix sauntered to a high stool tucked in the corner farthest from the bureau and made a show of stretching before leaping easily to the seat. His pose of patient amusement was spoiled somewhat by the bands and blots of muted colors wandering across his fur.
Rasmusen took a deck of tarot cards from one of the bureau’s many drawers and stood for a moment shuffling them without obvious intention.
“I’m curious. Who that I do not know—or know of—is poaching my students?”
Blix did not answer.
Stepping over the shimmering boundary of the mage circle, Rasmusen settled himself comfortably on the floor and took a moment to center himself. Focusing intently on every motion, he shuffled the tarot cards thoroughly, then set the deck carefully on the floor.
Rasmusen’s lips twitched at the sight of the first card, the questioner’s card; he’d always considered the King of Cups to be his card. Shaking his head against the distraction, he narrowed his focus to the ritual as he placed the opposition card. Death. Which meant change—catastrophic, unexpected, complete, or merely uncomfortable—not necessarily and end of life. He lay the card across the King of Cups before reaching to draw the foundation card from the top of the deck.
Rasmusen grunted. He turned the card in his hand over, comparing its back to the deck on the floor, then picked the opposition card back up and compared it to the one in his hand.
“What is it?” Blix asked.
“A second Death card,” Rasmusen answered. “Identical to the original.”
“From another deck?”
“This deck. The cards are unique.”
“Then place it.”
Rasmusen looked at Blix, unsurprised that the cat’s face revealed nothing. He replaced the opposition card, then paused—recapturing the serene focus of the reading took effort. At last he placed the foundation card below and to the left of the others.
The cards burst into flames. A glaring silver-white light rose from the mage circle, enclosing him in a column of cold fire.
As quickly as it had begun, it ended. Rasmusen sat in the center of the ring of grey sludge that had been the silvery mage circle, smudges of black ash marking where the tarot cards had lain, and stared directly ahead.
Blix flowed from his stool and crossed the now inert circle to stand in front of the human.
“And now, my lord, you know as much as I do.”
Rasmusen turned his face toward the sound of the cat’s voice.
“Fear not, the blindness is temporary,” Blix assured him. “If you will grasp my tail, I’ll lead you out of this chamber.”
Reaching the doors exhausted Rasmusen; he collapsed against the wall in the corridor, gasping as though he had run a race.
“I saw nothing,” he said at last. “Or something. What did I see?”
“You saw someone—two someones—who do not wish to be known, my lord,” Blix said. “You saw two powers, each powerful enough to ruin the foundation of the ritual, clash. You saw what they let you see as a warning to you not to delve farther. Two Death cards; they were both telling you the penalty for persistence would be death.”
The Esteemed Leading Knight Rasmusen slumped against the wall, waiting for his breathing and his heart rate to slow down. Against the darkness of his blindness darker forms moved. He did not understand how he could see the black-on-black images nor what they meant, but one was unmistakably the silhouette of a wolf.
« 上次编辑: 2019-07-16, 周二 18:22:16 由 失语 »